Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Catch N 8 NTex, PondGuppy, BarbaraE, Cloudfeather, Chadsnider
18,574 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,078
Posts559,306
Members18,576
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,686
ewest 21,541
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,175
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 472 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you are having trouble culling various types of bass or sunfish from your ponds -- have you thought about inviting Condello over for a fish fry? Bruce is basically a "fish whisperer" and a heck of a good person to get to know personally

Having grown up using "duPont Spinners" (as my uncles called dynamite when using it for fishing) I don't think I could reasonably recommend them. They can really ruin a reasonable fishery for quite a number of years. There are a lot safer and legal methods available.

I'd prefer hook-and-line, seines, or traps.

However, this time of year, if you live in the right place, you could gather a bunch of black walnuts. Put them in the driveway and run over them with a vehicle until the hulls are off. Separate the nuts from the hulls. Put the hulls in a porus sack, like a burlap bag or canoe net bag. Put the bag in the pond. See what floats up. Black walnuts are a lot like rotenone. The fish are edible if prepared soon after surfacing. Again -- make sure all of this is legal in your area.

Last edited by catmandoo; 10/25/12 05:19 PM. Reason: Edits of stupidity

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Thx, Jakeb and Eric...

Given these facts:
1) My pond is bass crowded (1 acre pond, BG, RES, CC, and LMB stocked 2005) so I don't have any LMB over 16" (never caught or seen)
2) I've only fished lures for LMB
3) I've been tagging/releasing bass 14" and greater for over a year (about 12-15 fish) and keeping anything under 14" (but still bass crowded)

Would you consider the following to increase the overall catchability and continue to cull LMB:
Periodically fish with live bait and keeping all fish under 14" AND keeping all fish over 14" without a tag?

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
What about your BG population? are there some large ones but few and far between? do you see lots of small BG 1-3 inch?

You may want to conisder stocking adult BG while taking out bass to turn your pond around faster. You can take out all but one 16" bass from the pond, but if he does not have 3-5inch BG to eat he is not going to grow.

How many lbs of LMB have you removed in the last year if you were guessing? I think 30-50lbs/acre of bass if what an unfertilized pond can support. Thus removing 10-20lbs/year is going to change the pond greatly (and very possible for just one person to do in 1 acre pond). Thats why your BG population may need to be looked at.

Last edited by jakeb; 10/26/12 11:49 AM.

Get out and fish.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
If you are having trouble culling various types of bass or sunfish from your ponds -- have you thought about inviting Condello over for a fish fry? Bruce is basically a "fish whisperer" and a heck of a good person to get to know personally

Having grown up using "duPont Spinners" (as my uncles called dynamite when using it for fishing) I don't think I could reasonably recommend them. They can really ruin a reasonable fishery for quite a number of years. There are a lot safer and legal methods available.

I'd prefer hook-and-line, seines, or traps.

However, this time of year, if you live in the right place, you could gather a bunch of black walnuts. Put them in the driveway and run over them with a vehicle until the hulls are off. Separate the nuts from the hulls. Put the hulls in a porus sack, like a burlap bag or canoe net bag. Put the bag in the pond. See what floats up. Black walnuts are a lot like rotenone. The fish are edible if prepared soon after surfacing. Again -- make sure all of this is legal in your area.

Ken do you think this would kill all the fish or could it be used just to take a few out? How long would the bag need to stay in the pond?

Seems safer than rotenone.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Jakeb,
I have very fiew 3-5" BG as the bass crowded conditions imply. I've actually added 50 4.5-5" BG each of the last two years. I'm going to add 200-300 4-5" CNBG this year. As for the removal of LBM... Sadly, I'm only culling about 10-12 lbs/year even though my target is 20. If I remove my size limitation (or fish with live bait???), I can reach this goal easier.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If the BG that you buy are feed trained, could you put them in a cage, feed 'em and release them towards the end of summer when they are a couple inches bigger?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
DJ

Removing bottlenecked predators is part of the solution, but you can also help by adding some dense shallow cover to your pond. The dense cover [cedars, etc] in 2-5' depth will help smaller BG survive predation by providing a buffer from ambush.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Scott,

I've bought the materials to make a cage like Bruce made at the PB conference (2'8"x2'8"x4' deep). I've moved one of my feeders to where I plan to keep the cage. I plan to pick up 200-300 3-5" CNBG from Suttles in Laurel (a little over an hour away from pond) . I plan to take the 3-4" fish and put them in the cage and release any 4.5-5". My LMB are no bigger than 16" so (I hope) the larger can survive. Do you think I should cage the 5" also until they are bigger?

TJ,
Funny thing... I've got that on my "10 point plan" that Jodi and I created on the drive home from the PB conference that actually only has 7 entries. The sad truth is, I've had this only my list for over a year and, as usual, I plan to get to it "tomorrow." I've bought the materials to make a couple of PVC structures and I've recently cut down alot of small trees (2-3") that I'd like to build more attractors.

Thank you guys for advice. I will put pictures up "tomorrow" when I've got the cage and structures built.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
While not a lot, and they'll probably target smaller ones, a 16" LMB could still eat a 5" BG.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
csteffen, logme13, taz1313, Tim Sanders
Recent Posts
alligator eating my fish food
by anthropic - 06/13/24 12:17 AM
Windmill System Suggestions
by Boondoggle - 06/13/24 12:16 AM
New Pond Build General Information
by FishinRod - 06/12/24 06:41 PM
System advice
by Bill Cody - 06/12/24 03:04 PM
Green Sunfish to Control Crappie Population?
by ewest - 06/12/24 02:47 PM
Gnat removal
by Bill Cody - 06/12/24 02:42 PM
Building a pond in Georgia
by PondGuppy - 06/12/24 01:40 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 06/12/24 01:25 PM
Shoreline plants now submerged. Will they die?
by jludwig - 06/12/24 12:35 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 06/12/24 11:18 AM
Is my pond dying?
by BarbaraE - 06/12/24 11:16 AM
Turtles in my lake
by 4CornersPuddle - 06/12/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023