Originally Posted By: jakeb
wow thanks for the extra info on the pond! This is very encouraging for me because I used more than a 30:1 stocking (and have seen good results so far). Also you mention its only a 2.5 acre pond but produced around 10 10+ pound fish at 9 years gives me hope that one day I could have the same in mine. I know I am not in the "deep south" but still an area that can produce big fish. I also find it impressive that so many big fish were in a smaller pond.

Did the owner do any hard management? or just catch a few bass to eat every now and then?

You can get there. You will just need a plan tailored to suit you and your area.

This is the the management plan that was in place allowing family and friends fishing. The Bass where Florida strain by the way. Did not remove anything for first 2 years except what was hooked to the point it would without a dought die. On third spring cut back amount feeding BG to encourage them to eat bass fry. From the end of 3rd summer on kept all bass under 1#. The 4th spring allowed people to sometimes keep a bass up to 2# and then went up to 3# on the 5th. Also a larger bass was kept a few times along the way for special reasons (like a kids trophy). Around 7 years into is was keep what you want because the pond going to be drained in 2 to 3 years.
A few other things to note was there was not alot of cover to allow for a more predation to take place both ways for the first 5 years. Bass on BG and BG on Bass fry / fingerlings. Near year 6 an excavator was used to add trees along the deeper edges for extra cover for the heavy fishing starting at year 7. The pond was drained a little over 9 years after the BG where put in. Harvesting of some BG was also allowed started at the 3rd spring.
The pond was limed and fertalized to maintain a somewhat decent balnce. Pond dye was added during winter months due to lack of cover and algea ploom, Stoked ponds in our area have more predatory animals appear for a easier meal during the clear water cooler months.

Anything else you want to know or think of feel free to ask. That is why we are here is to learn from each other experiences and gather / share knowledge.