I share the skeptic’s view of these products. Adding microorganisms to a brew can be essential if the substrate (the stuff for which change is desired) is not commonly found in the environment. An example of this is petroleum which has been released to form oil slicks at sea. Adding specific microorganisms might also be essential if a specific change is wanted. For instance, if you want your grapes to turn into wine, the organisms added should have as their “waste product” alcohol and not some smelly substance(s).

However, if the substrate is ubiquitous, (and, let’s face it, sludge is everywhere), then those organisms which metabolize it should also be found everywhere. If the result we are after is digestion of the sludge, then the very organisms we want will be favored by natural selection in our ponds to be the ones already there busily digesting the sludge.

Why, then, should we attempt to substitute for nature’s teeming trillians of sludge-eaters with our paltry dessicated cultures except as the means for transferring worldly goods from pondowners to culture suppliers? But, I can think of more effectient methods that that. Any of you bacteria buyers want to own a nice bridge? If so, drop me a line. How about some great investment land in Florida?
Lou