Just finishing construction of our pond here in NE Iowa and want to put in a beach area for swimming. Have a nice small finger of our 1 acre pond that will make a nice corner beach. They just finished excavation yesterday and I'd like to get the beach in before the water begins to fill it up. My question is: Should we just dump sand on top of the clay or should we excavate down a foot or so and then replace with 3/4 inch roadstone and then sand on top? My concern with just sand on clay would be the eventual mixing of the two to create a less than desirable beach. Should we put landscape fabric down first? My plan was to extend the sand into the water about 10-15 ft or 3-4 feet of depth.
I just read in another post about using some railroad ties or larger rocks to keep the sand from washing into the basin and I have access to some small boulders and thought of lining that area in the water at the bottom of the beach with those to try and keep the sand from washing down. Is that a worthy idea?
Guess I'm just looking for some direction on this one. Any one have experience with this?
Thanks guys, loving this site.