Originally Posted By: Bill Cody

Considering your planned species, I would rip-rap at least two complete shorelines. One or two shorelines with no or minimal concrete or some isolated large piles on the slope will add some habitat diversity and will allow some natural submerged weed growth in the future - more habitat diversity. Start with down wind shore first. Start concrete at high water line and then down to at least to what you expect to be the low water line level or a downward linear distance of 6-10ft. In some areas it would not hurt, anything that I can perceive, to have some areas where concrete goes clear to the bottom of the side slope. You could make these areas only 10-30 ft wide and then fish (jig) along the downward edges to minimize hook loss. Fish will mostly 'hang' out and travel along the edges anyway - transitions. Using a slip bobber over rip-rap shorelines is also a good way to fish with fewer snag ups. Other good ways to fish rip-rap shorelines is to fish from the corners or ends and pull the lure along the base of the rip-rap. I like to fish from a small boat and 'work' lures along the base of the rip-rap ledge.

Maybe use the larger concrete pieces to hold down (anchor)the bases of some small or medium sized entire trees placed vertical and or horizontal.

Wow, That seems like a lot of stone. Is this because of a 3/4 acre pond? Would this also stay in proportion as ponds get bigger? Anybody out there that having SMB success with a smaller amount? I'm talking about habitat area, not spawning areas.