Hondo - Thanks for the large bubble reference. Information sources are always good for reference.
My experience does not always agree with John's comments. He makes comments and usu. does not explain why, or elaborate which to me is suspect. This is a good example of what I'm referring to. He doesn't explain; we are just supposed to believe what he says. Maybe he will explain or tell us why larger bubbles are best for deicing.

Run power cord or airline to the pond???
I prefer airline because this way you can keep your compressor in a building where it has better heat ventilation and protection from the weather; two things, heat & moisture, that are the main enemies of air compresors. Compressor shelters work but are troublesome and more agrivation than a compressor in a bldg. No problem pushing air 100 ft if you use 1/2" - 5/8" ID airline. Cheapest is blk polyethylene water line(cheapest is type for nonpotable water $7.00-$9.00/100ft Lowes/HomeDepot). This will also be adequate (upto 4.5cfm) for a longer life, larger (1/4hp) rotary vane air volume compressor when yours quits. When at the pond w/ your small compressor you can down size to a smaller underwater airline abt. 3/8". 3/8" is not good for a larger airflow compressor; too much friction and head loss.

The only reason I would run a power line to the pond is if you want an outlet at the pond for another reason i.e, fountain , lights, bug light fish feeder, etc. Water and electricity are not compatable; ground fault interupters are not guaranteed. An extension cord to the pond is esp dangerous; be very cautious if using that method.

Contact me when you are ready for a diffuser, I have lots of low cost ideas that are tested and work very good. I specialize in do-it-yourself diffusers and systems.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management