Some food for thought...While some states do have cheap stocking plans, they "usually" also have VERY poor quality genetics. We pondmeisters spend 10's of thousands of dollars on a pond. For what?? To put in a less than good quality fish?? To save what??? A couple hundred bucks???? Too many people think a fish is a fish is a fish...not even close!!!!! Most pond owners also never give a thought to, or have a clue just how much work, knowledge and plain ole luck goes into getting healthy fish from point A to point B...and that is good..it is my job and a farms job to ensure that happens.

I presume you are reclaiming this 30 acres to improve it for better fishing...that requires, better fish. Do you really want to stock a pond with poor quality fish that will be there till the next time a body of water is killed off, just to save a few bucks?

There is a HORRIBLE fish farm in Worden Illinois, that I avoid like the plague! There are some excellent fish farms elsewhere in the state that produce great fish and will not risk their reputation "overselling".

Crappie in 30 acres is, in my opinion a bad idea, but still very doable...Just be fully aware of what can and WILL happen with them and be willing to manage the water actively! No farms sell Crappie when air temps get much over 60 degrees because the handling kills nearly every fish from stress. To sell you 1000 fish, they will lose 50,000....if you will cover that huge loss, they will seine a pond for you.

I CAN and HAVE delivered many species of fish, at all times of year...I have also lost my butt, financially, when a pond owner refuses to understand fish are not a can of corn that can simply be pilled off a shelf and shipped anywhere, anytime. Fish are amazingly fragile... transportation is extremely risky (and our fuel/equipment/supplies AIN'T cheap). If it were easy to grow/transport fish (and profitable), everyone would do it.

Most, if not all of the fish farms are now producing the crops for this coming fall and next spring...Do you walk into a freshly planted corn field expecting to get an ear of corn???

Joe, this post is not so much intended for you as it is for all future readers that come here looking for help, ideas and rock solid advice based on real world experiences of hundreds, both private and professional.