From the little bit that I know about electricity, from the utility pole until the power hit the GFI, people wouldn't be protected in case of a short and could be electrocuted. From the GFI to the end of the circuit, yes.

Case in point:

The circuit that goes to my pump house is NOT GFI protected. The bottom of the pump house is about 5' below ground level. I put a infrared 1,000w space heater that is attached to a switch that turns on at 33°F and below. One spring, the snow melted, it rained, then it turned cold. Below freezing cold. The water quit in the house, and looking in the pump house there was 3' of water, with at least 2" of ice on top of it. The heater was completely submerged. As I started down the steps, I thought "I wonder if the circuit is tripped?" Back up the stairs and into the house I went to check the breaker box. Nope, it was still alive and kicking. I don't know if I'd been toasted if I broke thru the ice, but my guess is yes.........

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).