Hi all! New to the forum (and pond management) I've read a ton of posts trying to find answers but most shallow-pond posts have referred to smaller ponds (less than 1 acre). I'll try to keep it brief and really appreciate any (low-budget) advice as the pond has been neglected for several years (very old pond but very clear water). My pond is oval (420' x 220'), 2 acres in size, avg depth 4-5' with a 9' deep channel at the dam about 150' long and 10'wide at the bottom. Theres' no run-in or run-off, it's fed by a well pump (when I turn it on), and it's also surrounded by trees and barely affected by even strong winds. You can probably guess I have filamentous algae and duckweek issues (but it's also plentiful with LM bass, some bluegill and crappie). From everything I've read, I'm in need aeration so I can hopefully stop spending money on chemicals and dyes. Vertex sent their estimation that I need 3 double 9" diffusers, one in the 9' depth (along the long side of the pond opposite my electrical power), and one at each end in the 4-5' depth. And of course the $3,600 cost to do it.

Using the 1 1/4" tubing feeding the pond from the well, I extended it out 100' to make a homemade fountain (looks nice but that's about it). I'm very handy with electrical, plumbing, etc., so I decided to make my own aeration system. So here's my questions with a tight budget: What would be the right size pump (ideas of make/model)? Will bottom diffusers be effective in the 4-5' depths as Vertex suggests? I plan on a diffuser in the 9' depth and if instead of a fountain shooting up using the well water, I made two of them (out of PVC) and designed it so the water (from high pressure using small holes) was aiming directly into the water at each end of the pond instead of diffusers, would that provide enough oxygen and water movement?

Also, I attached an aerial view of my pond with dimensions and depths if anyone feels they could help. Sorry for the long story but any help would be appreciated to help with a low budget system.

Thank you all again and thanks for the great forum PB!

Attached Images
Lake with dimensions and depth.JPG
Last edited by Lovnlivin; 05/18/12 12:06 PM.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES