Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Cecil

Here's what I have learned thru trial and error:

Create beds at different depths. I'm not a fan of pond bottom as I'm worried about DO levels that deep. Take the time to create them between 3-6' even if it means some alterations like I had to do. This will ensure your best chances for bedding SMB.

I also honored Bill's advice and used a 30' spread between beds as they can be territorial.

I only saw one bed being utilized last year, and still resulted in thousands of fry.

I am using 12-15" SMB - to improve my odds I'm stocking 20 in a my .3 AC smb repro pond as I can't tell right now if they are gravid or not. I figure with 20 I have to get at least 25% females. Sexually mature I think around 9-10", but I go with bigger fish exhibiting good genetics AND pellet trained - that last part is critical. Crazy weather here has everything upside down. I know my perch just spawned last couple weeks, so SMB are sure to follow in a week or two I'm guessing.

Get your brood fish out as soon as you can after the spawn, I think I had some serious cannibalism going on. I think pellets help, but they aren't available at all times. I was unsuccessful at keeping the pond full of FHM forage long enough to make a difference.

Try seining early at smaller sizes to help ensure survival of higher numbers...which you are already planning on I think.

Thanks for the info TJ.

Do you use a surface aerator in the pond or have one on hand in case of an emergency? I'm asking because one saved my butt last summer in the yellow perch production pond. I had an intense algae bloom far beyond what I needed and started getting diurnal oxygen depletion. I will probably have two production ponds going this year so I'm a little nervous about only having one surface aerator. I'd have three if i wasn't combining the perch with the bluegills.

On the other hand if I seine them out for feed training I can drain and refill and may not have any issues. I could also do an alum treatment when refilling and restocking as long as they are feed trained.

My problem is the ponds are only 1/10th acre and harder to control. I also may get some law fertilizer into the pond as both of my neighbors behind me are into the lawn care thing with beaucoup fertilizers and herbicides.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.