Most biologists are very knowledgeable and I've got some really good ones in my state.

A good example of the ignorance of a state biologist that will blow your mind is the following:

A Michigan biologist lamented to me that Indiana anglers were wiping out the bluegills in a chain of lakes called the Fortune Lake chain of lakes in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. This was after I requested a lake survey as I was curious about the dynamics of the chain after I had fished it.

The biologist was basing his conclusion on the lack of large bluegills electroshocking in August. There was no evidence of gill netting in the survey just electro shocking.

I found that pretty silly considering I had fished the lake in August, and all the large bluegill were suspended at 25 feet and there was no shortage! (Too deep for an electroshocker boat). A 2 pound bluegill was caught by another party while we were there. I also asked about the 1/2 to 1 pound smallmouth we caught with the bluegills at that depth, that were actually so numerous they were annoying. He told me he wasn't aware of a significant smallmouth populations in the chain! shocked

My guess is the man had the academic background but hadn't done much fishing so he had no idea about the habits of bluegills in deep lakes.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/30/12 09:00 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.