Originally Posted By: jludwig
How I read what esshup wrote is that the water coming directly out of the well had a reading of .1 mg/L and then he took reading in the water a short distance away from the pump and that was 3.0 mg/L.

You win todays prize!

I was pumping water to my pond thru a 3" hose/pipe. The pond was low, and the water flowing into the pond hollowed out a 5' dia hole before it flowed out of that into the pond. Right as the water came out of the pipe it read .1mg/l, but 3 feet away in the pool of well water it read 3 mg/l. The water was falling about a foot before it splashed into the hollowed out pool.

This was in my pond, not the pond that winterkilled. The winterkilled pond is about 12 miles away from my house, but the ground and ground water is virtually identical. pH is right around 7.0

The fish that I saw on the bottom were in about 2'-3' of water, but the vast majority of fish were floating. There is between 3' and 4' of visibility. For most of the winter, the pond has been ice covered, although the ice hasn't been thick enough to walk on. What little snow we've had, melts within a week. The ice is whiteish in color, due to the melting/freezing cycles.

No fish smaller than 9"-10" were observed dead by me. The pond owner said he saw one dead fish that was about 4"-5" long, it was gone the next day when I visited the pond. I took some pictures of the pond, I'll get them posted tonight.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).