Originally Posted By: esshup
the water coming from my well (that is 66' deep) with Cecil's YSI meter, it showed 0.1 mg/l O2. But, test that water just a couple of feet away it jumped to 3.0 mg/l

You lost me. 3 feet away - meaning at the surface 3 feet away after exposed to O2 or at 63 feet subsea still underground in formation ?

What Bill said - unless the pollutant is a natural element that those species can't tolerate but other species can. HSB can't take very low alkalinity but BG/GSF and others can. I don't know enough about trout to guess what they may be susceptible to.

The fish could have been in a catch 22 – seeking warm underground water temps but not able to stand the low O2 it contained – caught in a thermal O2 dilemma until it was too late. If they were near the bottom when the warm low O2 water mixed/descended/stratified they would have initially liked the situation until the O2 got to low at which point swimming up would have made the matter worse until they got to near the surface.

What baffles me is why the 2 species killed were cold/cool water species and not any of the warm water ones. What about the YP ?

Last edited by ewest; 02/10/12 11:31 AM.