Finally, a subject where I'm the professional. The Oregon 511 and 511A are the industry standards when it comes to chain grinding. One sharpens a chain with a file, a machine grinds it. The 511 is a workhorse, meant to grind chains day in and day out. For occasional use, it would be hard to justify the cost. If a customer carries a loose chain in to my shop, that is not installed on the saw, I will grind it for $4. If it is still on the saw, the charge is $6.

Most shops, mine included, purchase chain on 100' reels, and make it up as it is needed. I get a dollar an inch on the bar length. (a chain for a 20" bar will run $20.00)

There are a few angles that are important when filing, or sharpening chain, but the one that is usually screwed up is the cutter angle where it enters the wood. Consumer or safety chain is usually ground at an angle of 30 degrees, while commercial or chisel-type cutters are ground at 25 degrees. A lot of chains have "witness marks" stamped into the top of the cutter showing the proper angle.

Chain is sold by determining the type of cutter, the pitch, the gauge, and the number of drive links.

Pitch is the center-to-center distance between the rivets holding the chain togather. Common pitches in inches, are: 1/4, .325, 3/8, .404
Gauge is the thickness of the drive link where it slides into the groove on the bar, measured in inches. .043, .050, .058, and .063 are the standards.

I probably own a dozen saws, a hazard of being in this type of business. I have used saws since I was a kid, back when Homelite and McCulloch weren't laughed at like they are today. I prefer Stihl, Husqvarna, some Echo's, and I sold Dolmar for awhile and found them to be good saws.

Many of my Stihl's have big-bore kits, dual chamber mufflers, and modified ports. Again, a hazard of being surrounded by parts catalogs, and all the necessary tools.....

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.