Tanner - don't rely on my response as more than a hunch on what to do...just what I would consider in your place. A water analysis is cheap and very helpful in determining the condition of your water - and it's ability to sustain your fishery. If you find the water very acidic maybe it would be a good idea to fell a few of the conifers, or buffer with some lime, etc. Might be a good place to start. Of course you're right on track with your plans for aeration. This will work wonders on your pond.

What are your plans for your fishery? Will you drain or rotenone and begin completely anew? Or will you be assessing your current fishery and make attempts to amend to reach your goals, if any are needed? Let us know, lots of experts here can help direct you on the path to a completed project!

Keep us apprised, research the forum till your eyes burn, and ask tons of questions!

PS: Where are you located in NC? We have lots of fellow Pond Boss forum members from NC that would be great resources for you.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]