I agree with all the comments here. Kids, animals and people without common sense will hurt themselves in all kinds of ways. We as manufacturers do our best to educate and lable everything. Stickers, embossed sections on the outside of the cabinets, wording in the owner's manuals and yet we hear story's such as this.

I have recomended ORANGE Vynl Construction Fence placed around the pond as a warning along with postings Every 20-50 feet about the danger. Even if the system is not running, my 210# would go through the majority of most iced over ponds. I have had it happen.

Secondly, I have recommended life rings with 50' lines attached to throw to someone who still has decided to neglect the warnings if they have fallen through the ice. DO NOT TRY TO GO OUT THERE YOURSELF OR YOU WILL BE A SECOND VICTOM OF THE FRESHWATER KING NEPTUNE!

NEVER run a diffuser at depth not only for super cooling but for safety reasons. And I agree with Sue, if still a worry, turn it off and as RC said, clear off the snow, but wouldn't you fall through the ice doing that too?

Be safe, enjoy you pond and

Best fishes!