An inverted 'L' that is a spray bar which creates a counter clockwise circular flow. This causes settleable solids to wind their way to the center drain. Know as centrepedal flow or the "tea cup effect." Only problem is it's a fine line between too much flow for the fish and not enough effective movement of the particles. With trout it wouldn't be an issue but more sedentary fish like bluegills and yellow perch it can be.

A view of the spray bar and exit from the RBC tank back to the fish tank. Notice the upturned elbow increases aeration on the return. The spray bar is clamped to a u-tube siphon that strained out suspended solids from the tank. One 30 watt pump runs the entire system minus the 40 watt linear air pump that provides air to two tanks. Also notice the diffuser in the tank with the air line going up. This keeps the airline from restricting the self cleaning action of the tank.

A more close up view of the spray bar assembly and water line hose with the pump which sits on top of the clarifer tank. The ball value allows asjustment of the spray bar intensity and at the same time the amount of flow that goes to the RBC (other end of hose) that turns the RBC.

The RBC and tank without the cover, which keeps it dark for an optimum environment for the bacteria. I have changed from a plastic tarp to two layers of shade cloth to allow it to breath. I was concerned the plastic tarp would restrict oxygen.
The yellow perch tank is on the other side of the unfinished wall and shares the RBC.

Here's my 300 gallon stock tank with some bluegills in it. It doesn't look like it but there are over 100 six to seven inch bluegills in it. I could easily have doubled the number with no problems. They're fed 3 X per day in 75 degree water.

A more close up picture when they were first put in:

Here's my power back up (inverter) and two deep cycle batteries. If I remember right this will run my two pumps (for two tanks) and linear air pump for 16 hours if the power goes out.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/30/11 07:49 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.