Scott I would agree on the carb cleaning. Fuel related issues are by far the number one problem I see. If you want to be sure, start the engine, reach in and hold the throttle shaft at the carb. Hold it still and listen to the engine. If it smooths out and holds a steady speed, then the problem probably lies with the governor system. If, on the other hand, it falters, and possibly dies when you hold the shaft still, then it's a fuel restriction. (lean).

Most of the time, it's the carb. Use your torch tip cleaner, and GENTLY clean the passages in the main nozzle. That will probably cure it. However, there is one more thing you can clean.

Take a look at the idle speed screw. You may find that it threads in over top of a black "plug", with one flat side. Back the idle screw out to allow access to the plug. Pry it up with a screwdriver, it should have an O-ring on it. The plug is an air bleed, with a tiny orifice. Make sure the orifice is open.

Worst case, you replace the carb. They are available OEM and aftermarket, both types work equally well, and the aftermarket versions are very inexpensive.

Oh yeah, there is a vertical screw, in addition to the carb mounting nuts, that holds the air cleaner on. Remove the filter, and base, to access it.

Last edited by sprkplug; 11/27/11 05:20 PM. Reason: air cleaner mounting

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.