Dave D, i too bought a straight shooter, attached it to the bottom of a huge galvanized metal trash can. got a tripod kit for another 39 bucks, bought 6 foot metal rods, for a total cost of about 80 bucks i have an auto feeder that holds 100 pounds of floating fish food, feeds twice a day. works pretty good for me. as far as clogging, i found that if i just shake the tripod legs once a week or so, it does just fine. i also use my tripod deer feeder during the summer for feeding fish instead of the deer. i know it throws food in a circular area, but i put it in the shallow area of the water, and attached a plastic square trash can lid to the side of it that faces the land, so the feed hits it and falls into the water, and doesn't go onto the land. so, with an approximate savings of a few hundred dollars, i have more money to put into an aerator system! (i hope my wife will accept that rationale!!) one of these days i'll break down and buy a feeder that will throw out feed like....20 times a day!!! as far as feed, i get a 50 pound bag of floating fish feed from the farm supply place for 12.50. fish seem to like it well; i can see the little fellers hanging around it about feed time. also, our little dog just goes crazy over the stuff!! i wonder if i can stop spending so much money on that Eukanuba dog food, and just feed him the fish food (any vets out there?!!)