Originally Posted By: buzzman
Anyone have experience with fire ants getting in their fish feeder? Any ideas how to keep them out?

Buzzman

I am a Certified Pesticide Operator in Florida. I also do some Aquatic Weed Control. I am here to learn more about Pond management.

Fire Ants are very easy to control if you know how. First you must understand the how various pesticide work and effect collateral damage to you pond and fish. The popular Pyrethroid pesticides will kill your fish if the run off gets into your pond. Therefore you must use liquid Boric acid Baits like Terro that you can buy in the Super Market. Bait attract the Fire Ants and they take the Boric acid back to the nest were it finally control the total population. This can take up to 6 weeks but you should start seeing a decline in 2 to 3 weeks. The big trick with Terro liquid Ants baits is to water it down at least 2 water to 1 Terro. Full strength Terro works too fast and doesn't return to the main colony like the watered down solution.

One trick that might help you get past the 6 weeks control period is to Wipe down or trigger spray all around the Feeder with a Strong Cleaning solution of your choice. Lysol works good. The Cleaning solutions have a smell that will repell the Fire Ants for a few days. Of course place the baits out side the circle of Lysol where the Ants can get it.

My advice is to also keep Ant Bait near your feeder as a preventative. Liquid Baits seem to work the best and a little quicker than Solid Baits since only Ant Larvae can digest solids. Place these Bait station where they can not be rained on and change them bi-monthly.

Of course if you don't want to wait the 4 to 6 weeks baits take to work, Hire a Professional. We have ways of getting results much quicker.

Good Luck I hope this helps