With your goals why not stock just RES. Higher numbers should 'push' more fish higher into the shallows and also make them more aggressive, although the possibility of higher numbers will probably result in slower growth. For GSF, have you ever fished numerous ponds with GSF? When they are mostly large there are few of them, when abundant lots are 3"-6". I would rather catch an 6"-8" YP than a 5" GSF. HBG may be a better fish for your goals. Or change your goals? - see below. Anyone out there reading this that has HBG and RES combination?

Soap box. Regarding ponds, fisheries and goals; many unknowingly want too many idealistic goals - i.e. their cake, lots of it to eat anytime, someone to buy it, bake it, frost it, and feed it to them, then have it all things cleaned up when full. Often sacrifices have to be made i fisheries or realistic pond management or adjustments made to the goals. Bottom line you may have to adjust your goals, or experiment with the risks involved.

In my experiences with YP and some of the other species, they can be managed where a large percentage are bigger fish - 10"-14". Although in these cased sometimes the predator base suffers or is less than ideal. Again sacrifices come into play. A second option is if you get land, build two ponds (0.2 ac, 0.6-0.9ac) - one kid fishing and one requiring a little more angling skill. Smaller pond later can be used as a forage pond.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/16/11 09:53 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management