Buying an existing pond IMO has many drawbacks, many of them hidden or unknown - primarily chemical history, improper planning and initial construction methods, and a leak potential. It is best to see a pond during drought conditions. Unfavorable fisheries can always be renovated and started over. Purchased ponds are acceptable, but be sure to do your home work before buying. If I was buying a pond I would require the owner to provide a sediment chemistry analyses for chemical residues from two locations; one shallow, one deep. IMO many existing ponds that are not properly cared for are a liability and price decreaser, not an asset to the property. Especially if the pond needs renovation, dredging, or rebuilding due to poor management or poor initial planning and construction techniques. IMO - only a few ponds of the total are well managed.

Since no one else is providing input, I think 2-3 acres would be large enough for your goals in an all natural, medium productivity pond. Fertilization is not normally recommended in ponds that have extended ice and snow cover. Low productivity (clear water 4-6ft vis) requires more acres for your planned harvest rate. One acre could work, IF, repeat IF, it is well managed and fish are fed. Fed fish are plentiful, and large quality fish, when managed properly. IMO For normal plant zone 4 or 5 northern winters the pond should be 15 - 20ft deep over 10%-30% of the surface acres. Average depth of 6-8ft is optimum for zones 4-5. Steep slopes of 2.5-3:1 are best to minimize weed growth problems. All the weed FA problems and most headaches for the owner that a pond has occur in shallow water.

In theory GSF could work as a significant forage species, but IMO it is pretty 'dicey' and you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men. I would not use GSF if it were my pond. I've had to many bad experiences with them. If you have a 2-3 acre pond and the fishery goes awry, the ease of renovating is not the same as if the pond was 0.2-0.5 acre. Do you realize that until a GSF is 9"-9.5" long its mouth gape is the same as that of a LMB? That makes this aggressive, temperamented GSF, the largest gaped fish in your planned pond for all fish up to 9"-10". Don't believe me, do some measuring and data collection.

Also don't plan on going out to the pond and catching WE anytime you feel the urge to invite WE for dinner. Won't happen. YP & SMB maybe, not WE. Thus fish in the freezer as mentioned above.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/13/11 09:44 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management