I had no idea about the Soil and Water districts...

I am not planning on impounding Preddy creek, but would make the the pond about 30 yards from and running parallel with the creek. Then I would dig a 4-5 foot ditch also running parallel with the creek but about 80 yards away, starting at the road and emptying back into a bend in the creek, with the pond between the creek and the ditch.

Currently when the spring floods come, the water overflows the creek bank on the far side of the road, across the road, and across the creek bottom to get back to the creek. But when it does this the majority of the creek bank on my side of the road is high enough to stay dry, leaving an island of dry ground between the creek and the natural path of the water, back to the bend in the creek. Problem is that the water flow across the ground is enough to wash debris, and food plots down and into the creek. When the water level drops enough to stay in the creek I am left with a pond about 100ft long by 40ft wide and about 1ft deep. If it would hold fish I might be happy, but it stays till about the end of September, providing a mosquito breeding ground the whole time.

If I were to dig the pond where the 'Mosquito Pond' lies naturally, I am afraid that it would get too much runoff from the hill that it butts against, then all the fish might get washed out every spring. So thats why I thought to make the pond in the area that has the higher ground, and provide a way to divert the water, from the floods, with a ditch.

What does everyone think? I've attached a photo of the creek bottom, in the photo gallery also. The change in the color of the trees denotes a significant change in elevation, and along that line is the path of the mosquito pond.

Attached Images
Creek Bottom Proposal.jpg