I don't know anything about tree removal mitigation requirements. I removed lots of trees for my pond, but it's not in a designated floodplain and that may make a difference. I'm sure Preddy Creek is designated as a flood plain, though. Preddy Creek is a pretty good sized creek.

Tell you what... when I started the whole planning process, I got a brochure from the district Soil & Water Conservation office which laid out all agencies and departments that may need to be involved, phone numbers, etc. Albemarle is in a different district - the Thomas Jefferson Soil & Water District - but I would think they would be able to provide the same for you.

In my case I had no permit fees. I was exempt from needing the county sediment & erosion permit because it'll be used to irrigate Christmas trees and the Corp's regional permit that covered me is not something to be applied for.

I imagine if your planning on putting an impoundment on Preddy Creek you will run into more requirements. Let us know what you find out.