Wow. First let me thank you guys for responding so quickly. And I appreciate any prayers thrown my way. This place makes me thankful to be able to call the US my home.

After reading your post I realize that the most difficult part of this endeavor will be navigating through the various paperwork. The VA DGIF does provide a lot of insight, and has some pretty sound recommendations for pond construction, and stocking. I did find that in Virginia there are exemptions from some of their Clean Water Act restrictions for Farm and Stock pond development as long as the pond dam doesn't exceed a certain size, and for impoundments also not exceeding a certain size. My intended pond fits within those specs, but I will still have to get the county permits and inspections for sediment control, and I will have to contact the Army Corps regardless. Fortunately VAMAZ has provided the name of our local USACE engineer. Guys, I really appreciate your input, and I am amazed at the amount of useful information on this site.

VAMAZ, I'm willing to bet that Albemarle county will be more of a pain than Greene when it comes to regulations and permits, but in general, can you give me a cost estimate for the various County, State, and Federal permits? And do you know of any Virginia Tree removal Mitigation requirements, as Indiana has pointed out?

VAMAZ, the creek that causes the issues is Preddy Creek which essentially runs parallel with HWY 29, and 20. I don't think the State has much concern about the mess that creek has become, because nearly every crossing becomes flooded over every spring. Do you know of anyone else in our area that has done anything along Preddy Creek?