I built a new home last year. My contractor needed backfill for the remainder of landscaping. My ground has about 1 1/2' of sandy loam, then all clay. He dug out a pond(oval shape)about 1/7 of an acre. Its 18' deep on one end and 10-12' on the other. Sharp drop offs. As it filled over this winter, I put shiner and Fathead minnows in it in the last of April. In the first of June I planted 150 perch and 60 trout(40 Rainbow and 20 Browns) shortly after. Prior to the fish I built a cover of brush and small trees wired together and placed it in the 10' end near shore.

I have been feeding the fish with Silver Cup Trout 4.5mm floating pellets. The fatheads go nuts over the pellets. And the trout also. I haven't noticed the perch as of yet.

My question is when do I discontinue feeding the pellets this fall? Will the trout & perch naturally pursue the thousands of shiners and fatheads this winter?

That was my plan for winter food for them. And adding an aerator later this fall in the 10' depth.

I'm new at this and would like it to work. I'm thinking of having a 1 1/2 acre pond put in next year if this goes well.