Originally Posted By: nils olson
what is the jar test? The trout are picky we know, but 2 yrs ago we put over 150 (3-5")Hybrid bluegills in the pond and haven't caught more than #10 at best. They aren't spose to be picky. The only bluegills spawning are the 2"ers. The bigger ones (if they even exist anymore) are not in the shallows. we are very perplexed. starting to wonder if someone fished us out. However, doubt this cause the waters are pretty stained and birds i believe would have trouble.

Something here just doesn't add up for me. You stocked 3-5" fish two years ago, and now you're seeing 2" fish spawning? Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't get the math to work. Granted, BG are extremely prolific, so I'm open to the possibility that the 5 inchers pulled off a spawn late in '09', the year you stocked them, but to have 2" HBG that are sexually mature, and spawning now, hints at trouble in my book.

Typically, the spawning hierarchy is determined by the largest males. If you have 2" HBG spawning now, then I would think that the larger HBG are non-existent, or at least their numbers are few and far between.

By any chance, were there fish already in this pond when you stocked your HBG and RT?

As far as being picky, I have heard it said many times that HBG are great for a "pay lake", or kids pond, because they're easy to catch, or always willing to bite. In my experience, this simply isn't true. Sure, WHEN they're in a feeding mode, they can be easy to catch. But, contrary to what you may read elsewhere, they are NOT always in the mood to eat.

The aggressive behaviour so often spoke of, to me at least, refers to their ability to absolutely smash a bait, and put up a fight that would put my native BG to shame. I haven't found them always willing to bite - not by a long shot.

Try fishing deeper with some micro crankbaits, or small spoons.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.