Howdy, macco, and welcome to the forum.

My math comes up with something like 21 acres - a nice sized piece of water. It's interesting that LMB have had problems in this water while SMB have done well, given that the norm is for LMB to out compete Smallies. How far North is it - between all the lakes or North of Lake Ontario?

Walleye immediately come to mind as a species that I think would do well (even if they don't manage to spawn successfully in the pond) for your friend. Is that what you meant by pike? My initial mental response to "pike" was to think Northerns (which should also do well in such a pond, I believe).

If the pond is in between Erie, Ontario, and Huron, RES may be able to to OK in it. They manage alright in the lower half of Michigan's LP, especially in larger bodies of water closer to Lakes Michigan and Huron (due to climate tempering effects).

Dr. Dave Willis and our Northern tier of U.S. PMs should have some good ideas and info for you.

P.S. On my one vacaation there, I found southern Ontario delightful. We travelled through it on smaller roads like routes 23 and 9. It seemed like about 19 out of every 20 farms had a Maple Leaf flag flying out in front of the house, and the 20th one had an American flag. You don't see 1 out of 20 places flying ANY flag down here.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]