New member saying hello. We have a 1 acre pond in the middle of cattle country around Oskaloosa, Ks. 4 and 5 lb LMB are the heaviest I've seen. The bass are healthy and thick. 13 inch black crappie are common (stocked by the neighbor" All sorts of varities of perch, Bluegill, Redear, Sunfish, I'm really not sure about all of them. Catfish, I know there was a 10 lb Flathead a few years ago that was caught and eaten. The pond is about 12 feet through the middle, this is a small watershed with constant runoff coming from those afore mentioned cattle pastures so there is plenty of nutrients spilling in making the algae a mess each summer.

there was a huge fish kill about 6 years ago, about the time we startedreally spending time at the pond. Seems each year the blanket weed is getting worse. Have been considering going with a windmill to aereate and so I thought I would look for a forum for advice and found this interesting place. Lots of helpful info so far and I've only been reading for a few hours.

Planning on using some rakes and bacteria in a few weeks to try to do some damage to that algae, but would like some advice on pumping air. Is it really needed???

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. As we live about 2 hours from pond pics are not an option right now but I can get some soon.

I did find some old pics from last year. The algae is mminor in these pics. It get much worse than this. Advise your 'neighbor" to please stop stocking the pond.

Attached Images
DSCN5977.JPG DSCN5975.JPG DSCN5978.JPG
Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/10/11 08:50 AM.

1 Acre-
12 ft in deepest area-
Watershed in cattle country-
LMB, BC, BG,BT
FA troubles, and lots of Chara