The Dunns fish farm truck was near me today so I picked up some Fathead Minnows to start off my pond. I would have preferred to avoid Dunn's after some of the things I read in another thread here but they are the only truck around here for a while and I really wanted to get the minnows established so I went ahead. I also thought it would be nice to get another review of Dunn's on here.

I bought 6 pounds of Fathead Minnows. I didn't weigh them and have no idea what 6 pounds should look like so I have no idea how many they gave me. Maybe some of you can estimate from the pictures below.

Around 20% of the minnows they gave me were "rosy red." They were supposed to all be the dark colored kind. I wasn't super happy about this, but went ahead and took them.

The fish all seemed healthy to my untrained eye. It took me about 45 minutes to get them from the truck to my pond and start acclimating them. I unsealed the bags, put them in the water to acclimate, and periodically scooped some pond water into the bag water before letting them swim out. They all seemed fast and healthy as the swam away into the pond. 2 of the largest minnows were floating upside down and gasping for a while but they eventually swam away too.

These were the first fish stocked into my first pond and I wanted to get more pictures of this momentous occasion, but between the heavy rain and my camera battery dying I didn't get as many as I wanted.

Here's one of the unopened bags. This should be 3 pounds of Fatheads. I bought two of these bags for a total of 6 pounds. As you can see, there were quite a few Rosy Reds mixed in:

Acclimating:

Close-up of a random sample: