Wouldn't it actually be better to stock crappie in a small pond as opposed to a large lake? Being that control of fish in a large lake easily becomes expensive if not near impossible in certain situations. You could try to remove the crappie yourself but in most lakes thats impractical unless you had large numbers of outside help. Plus wouldn't it be easier to catch and remove crappie in a small pond as opposed to a large lake? Either way, in the end a smaller pond is easier to retonone if you change your mind.

It would seem, to me, that having a small lake/large pond(1-5 acres) would work better for crappie, if money is lacking. Than a large lake would in most cases. Either you could spend more money to manage your pond or you could work harder to control the fish yourself. And either way you would need to have at least some of either thing, time or money.

Wouldn't a large lake of the recommended size for crappie eventually stunt the same amount of times as most smaller bodies of water? Wouldn't it just end up taking longer and being even harder to drain and retonone? Plus wouldn't it probably have a higher chance of getting "other unwanted" fish and then larger versions of the same problems that affect smaller lakes?

This post has unofficially been hijacked. I wouldn't know which crappie post to add it to so this is the lucky one. Hopefully we can uncover some more crappie answers. (And I don't use those sort of puns on purpose. It just works out that way.)

-Allch Chcar
Living the dream, 21 acres. No pond, yet.