Last year, Mike Otto wrote a series of articles on sealing leaky ponds. He wrote about ESS-13 in the July-August, 2006 issue. In other issues he wrote about using natural, abundant clay to line a pond, bentonite and plastic liners. Also, I have a complete chapter in my newest book, "Perfect Pond" related to leaky ponds and I included much detail about ESS-13.
There really is not any suspicion about using synthetic liners. Some areas of the nation require plastic liners. Much of the nation has plenty of good, plastic natural clay...the most preferred material of all. Bentonite works well in certain conditions, as does ESS-13. After two lengthy interviews with Seepage Control representatives, they made us understand that ESS-13 is a natural oil-based emulsion which attaches to marginal soils (no rock, sand or gravel) that allows the soils to be compacted. I really don't see any suspicion about any of the products.
Most people here on our website are trying to figure out how to take care of their problems. Their problems are cause of their suspicion, if there is any suspicion at all. Good folks here realize their pond is leaking, but don't know or understand why. Therefore, they aren't sure how to "fix" the problem. Then, when they start to seek answers, those people who are "in the know" start off by qualifying themselves and their products. Suppliers, as much as the landowners, know that trying to stop a leaky pond can be a crapshoot, unless the pond is drained, soils evaluated and lots of money is spent, no matter which product ends up being used.
Each product stands on its own merit....it how and when to use those products that bumfuzzles some people.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...