Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
LloydLusk, Catch N 8 NTex, PondGuppy, Satyam Thakur, BarbaraE
18,576 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,084
Posts559,368
Members18,577
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,686
ewest 21,541
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,184
Who's Online Now
4 members (4CornersPuddle, tim k, catscratch, Knobber), 856 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
You bet LB. Glad to see you posting more often...and glad to hear your ponds will benefit from a more active management strategy.

Are you headed to the conference? I HIGHLY recommend it - for new managers and veterans - you get to rub elbows with the world's best earth guys, fisheries guys, and Johnny Morris. Essentially it's like three days with fisheries consultants that would normally cost you $750 - $1000 daily.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
larryboy...it sounds like you have a classic overpopulation of LMB.

If you are indeed light on available BG, I would suggest you remove every skinny bass caught regardless of size and about 75 LMB per acre of water surface in the 6-15" range this year to reduce predation on your new gills.

L
Fingerling
Fingerling
L
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
You bet LB. Glad to see you posting more often...and glad to hear your ponds will benefit from a more active management strategy.

Are you headed to the conference? I HIGHLY recommend it - for new managers and veterans - you get to rub elbows with the world's best earth guys, fisheries guys, and Johnny Morris. Essentially it's like three days with fisheries consultants that would normally cost you $750 - $1000 daily.

Still debating. I have a busy April planned but I would love to make it. I'm about 80% in!

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
L
Fingerling
Fingerling
L
Originally Posted By: Rainman
larryboy...it sounds like you have a classic overpopulation of LMB.

If you are indeed light on available BG, I would suggest you remove every skinny bass caught regardless of size and about 75 LMB per acre of water surface in the 6-15" range this year to reduce predation on your new gills.

Classic overpopulation is exactly right. I have removed about 350 bass so far and the pond is 3-4 acres, and will continue to remove through the summer. I'm starting to see some fish in the 3-6 inch range, which I believe is good but still very light on BG.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Alvord, CNBG do very well in our area.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Alvord, if you want to grow trophy CNBG, know your supplier.
Most CNBG available from suppliers in our area are from Arkansas fish farms and are intergrades - a mix between pure Florida and native BGs.
The only pure Florida CNBG suppliers that I am aware of are from Tyler Fish Farm and Overton Fisheries.
Overton has a representative in your area.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

G
Lunker
Lunker
G

G
Lunker
Lunker
G

Alvord/Sniper

Why not stock CSBG [Condello Northern Strain BG] or RES/BG hybrids? My bet is either would outperform CNBG in terms of survival and size. Just a thought and then no worries about a winterkill.

Larry/Mr Hello

Rex [Rainman] will have Condello Strain BG that size this Summer, maybe early Summer/Late Spring if he hasn't already sold out. In Fisherman and Pond Boss magazine have done features on these fish, and there's a website dedicated to them as well [bigbluegill.com]. I strongly recommend touching base with Rex on getting these genetics in your ponds. I have personally witnessed 8.5" growth on a 22 month old fish. Pretty amazing stuff.

TJ, I got 10 inches and 1 lb growth in 22 months out of a few of my last stocking of Overton's CNBG.
http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=207020&page=1

Last edited by george1; 02/22/11 02:56 PM. Reason: Add quote

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
That's some great growth George, and a beautiful fish. Makes me wonder what those CSBG would do in terms of growth in the long Texas growing season versus Lincloln, Nebraska with a couple months or more under thick ice.

Maybe someone knows already??...It would be cool to find out!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
That is a spectacular fish George. The colors are quite striking.

Rainman, I need a variety of that fish, along with some tilapia, that my northern strain BG won't make fun of when the water gets hard.... I can already hear the deragatory name calling from my fish when those southerners start doing their flounder impersonations... not good!! Oh well, maybe someday...

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Rex, it would be interesting to stock both mature CSBG and pure CNBG in a pond in the "transition temperature" zone... grin ... The least that would happen is to get an "intergrade spawn" that might result in more growth characteristics plus a tolerence for colder temperatures.

Why don't you give it a shot? cool
Interesting!

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
If you get ice cover for more than a week at a time, stocking CNBG is most likely a waste. My bet, even if they do survive they're going to do poorly. If you want variety, why not trying a different species of sunfish? PS, LES, RBS, RES, etc...

If I could find a supplier for PS, LES, RBS I would look into getting some of them, but not sure anyone is close to NE Oklahoma.

Now as far as the CSBG go I would like to have some of them as well, but since not too many people that close to me want some Rex does not get close enough to me to have them delivered, so I would have to catch up with him and it may be 200 miles away from my ponds. But will keep it in mind just in case he has some other fish I want as well and I can get them all at one time.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Good discussion. Let's be sure we don't lead someone astray as there are posters from different locations with the same questions here and others reading.

If you are in ID forget the CNBG. If you are in the deep south don't stock BG adapted to the far north. Know the risks of your actions before you buy and stock fish or be ready to live with the results. In other words don't blame PB (us) - fair warning. You are of course free to do what you want and do report the results.

Let's see who has CNBG the farthest north and how they are doing? Bruce who has CSBG the farthest south and how are they doing?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I would be very interested in finding out the northern most range of CNBG myself. While I am currently happily involved with my HBG, I always enjoy planning ahead to future projects. On that note, I can't seem to find any pics or stats on mature female CSBG.. just the males. I feel like I've seen some mention of it here before, but I can't find it. Does anyone have any info and/or pics they're willing to share with me? As long as Bruce doesn't mind?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
A
A
Well, I have scheduled delivery of 2500 CNBG and 600 RES for next Thursday. I looked at several suppliers here in Texas, but due to the distance I was looking at quite a bit more money. The other suppliers seemed to have great genetics, but I had a budget and growing the biggest BGs wasn't my goal. My goal is to establish a spawning forage base since my current base is GSF. I am primarily looking to grow big LMB with my second goal to have my kids catch some BG for fun. The largest CNBG my supplier currently offers is 4 to 5 inches, so I plan to feed well and hopefully they will establish!

I will keep you posted.

The BEST investment I have made in my pond is subscribing to PondBoss!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
2500 4-5" must of hurt the wallet.. I think they should establish with them numbers, i would think they woulda established with half that much? Im not a pro though. Your RES # seem low id double that depending on size..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Please post your altitude as well, those who have CNBG and CSBG. That'll make a difference too.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Please post your altitude as well, those who have CNBG and CSBG. That'll make a difference too.

He scheduled delivery. Its kinda late for that..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
L
Fingerling
Fingerling
L
[quote=MRHELLO]Just to give you an idea of what some options are for me to add some larger bluegill this spring I have added some info on prices from another place that I am thinking about trying this spring.

1"-3" are $35.00 per hundred fish
3"-4" are $45.00 per hundred fish
4"-6" are $60.00 per hundred fish
6" and over are $5.50 per pound

MrHello, can you tell me where you are finding BG 4-6 inches and these prices? I haven't had any luck around Tulsa but would love to buy some. Thanks.
A few questions I have:

Last edited by larryboy; 02/23/11 08:31 PM.

A
A
Bluegillkiller....I thought the numbers maybe actually low. My pond is about 6 acres with a 1/2 mile, non flowing creek that adds another 6 acres. The price wasn't bad....$56 per 100 for 4 to 5" CNBG with a minimal delivery fee. The RES were an after thought. I have a LMB popultion, but I would say it is light. There is an abundance of cover in the creek. I was hoping this would help the CNBG and RES get fairly well established. What are your thoughts? Oh yeah, I could only get 3 to 4" RES.

Last edited by AlvordFishin; 02/24/11 01:35 AM.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: esshup
We need to get the Oklahoma pondsters in this conversation - Texans have no need for concern with CNBG unless they are in the Texas panhandle.
Maybe Chris Steelman can help on CNBG transitional temperature zone.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: AlvordFishin
Well, I have scheduled delivery of 2500 CNBG and 600 RES for next Thursday. I looked at several suppliers here in Texas, but due to the distance I was looking at quite a bit more money. The other suppliers seemed to have great genetics, but I had a budget and growing the biggest BGs wasn't my goal. My goal is to establish a spawning forage base since my current base is GSF. I am primarily looking to grow big LMB with my second goal to have my kids catch some BG for fun. The largest CNBG my supplier currently offers is 4 to 5 inches, so I plan to feed well and hopefully they will establish!

I will keep you posted.

Alvord, I had to chuckle about your CNBG were just forage for LMB and fun fishing – sounded just like me almost ten years ago when I considered them “bait”.

A
A
George....are CNBG not a good forage base? Or were you just implying that you have since grown to enjoy them for more than a forage base? Sorry...I am a little slow this morning.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: AlvordFishin
George....are CNBG not a good forage base? Or were you just implying that you have since grown to enjoy them for more than a forage base? Sorry...I am a little slow this morning.
Alvord, CNBG are excellent forage but IMO no better than common BG.
I was expressing my interest in pure Florida genetics after developing appreciation of their larger size and sometimes shape and color.
Most CNBG suppliers in our North Texas area provide Arkansas “intergrades”, a mix of pure CNBG and common BG.

You obviously know and trust your supplier
I only purchase fish from growers that I trust and not from unknown vendors.

Sorry for the confusion.

M
MRHELLO Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Just waiting for it to warm a little and to see if anyone around here will have BG of at least 5 inches or so.

I think one place gets theirs in around April.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
AaronhomeIN, airborne3118, catskillswater, Jr Branham, Rick, Tent Camp, Txland
Recent Posts
New YP/SMB Pond in MI - Plan
by Bill Cody - 06/15/24 01:12 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 06/15/24 11:10 AM
Algae
by Boondoggle - 06/14/24 10:07 PM
RW on a HSB ?