I've tried all sorts of methods to chase them off. These are cool birds that I certainly wouldn't want to hurt. The one that has worked the best for me is a close shot over the head with my 17 caliber rifle. I've used a shotgun and a 22 but the birds returned the next day or sooner. My theory is that unlike the latter two guns the high speed rifle shot over the head probably makes a very loud zing and crack when it goes over. It doesn't hurt anything but for some reason they just never come back. And believe me I have lots of herons around, both blue and green. I live right in the middle of an area that has probably 100 acres of wetland in every section. These birds are all over and they fly over my pond numerous times a day. But I think once one of them has experienced that noise they remember it and never come back. I will chase a number of them away every spring and then I won't see one on the pond all summer. I'd like to hear from someone else who tries this to see if it works for them.

Gotta get back to fishin!