A population of small GSF can definitely be managed out of without using the nuclear option. The game plan is 1) stock many predators to beat down the GSF numbers and 2) stock desirable replacement forage species, in sizes large enough to escape loss from #1.

LMB are the classic predator to use in this situation. They would be much more successful than catfish (CC at least) for this purpose. If you utilize LMB, you will in 2-3 years (all going well) have eliminated most of your GSF leaving a pond with a lot of LMB - which is also highly conducive to having the big BG/RES (and presumably big PS, as far as "big" goes for Pumpkinseeds) you desire.

It will be very hard to have the big bream you want without a lot of predators of some kind. In your place I would plan on stocking the self-replicating LMB and taking that route. Stocking HSB would also be a possible option.

I must mention that several PMs I highly respect (including our illustrious Guvnor Davidson) warn of problems controlling LMB numbers in small ponds. However, if you are after big bream, too many LMB may be exactly what you want.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]