First, you have a beautiful looking place.

Secondly, I fully agree with what REXCRAMER said above.

Thirdly, I'm really surprised at the DNR's stocking plan. I see a number of problems.

From now on, if you are going to restock, I'd come here first. Then I'd go to a private hatchery with the advice. I don't think the DNR did you any favors. Also, getting stock from public waters, or even private waters, is just too risky.

The original bluegill stocking -- no problem. Good start. But, it sure seems like far too few fatheads were stocked for 2 acres.

Putting 1-inch bass in with one year old bluegill seems like a wonderful banquet for the bluegill. 140 bass at 1-inch, seems far too few. I regularly catch 4-6 inch bluegill on polliwogs bigger than one-inch.

I see two mistakes with the catfish. 200 channel cats in a 2-acre pond is a recipe for disaster, unless you are planning on an almost-exclusive catfish pond. At 4-6 inches, they too will greatly enjoy those 1-inch bass. Worst, at that size, the catfish will be pretty safe from the bigger bass you are finding in your pond.

Certainly, things are far from hopeless. At least they didn't stock bullheads and crappie.

I think most of our good friends must be on vacation. Forum activity has been real low for the last week or so. But, being in Nebraska, you've got some of the best pond managers in the country near you.

You probably need a good stock of larger bluegill that can't easily get eaten.

You need to get at least half of of those catfish out of there over the next year, or so. Otherwise, they will grow huge, eat everything in sight (including your bluegill and bass), and take control while they dig caves in the sides of your pond. As you go forward, don't plant more catfish per year than you figure you will pull out the next year. They should be put-and-take. They grow real fast. They are real smart. As they get bigger and wiser, they get tremendously hook shy.

At this point, you probably also need to get more mature bass in there to get things under control, but let's hear from some of the experts. Possibly hybrid striped bass, also put-and-take, could help clean things up without adding to your problems, while providing good fishing and good meals.

Good luck,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!