Hi Rainman, thanks for you response!

I was thinking the same thing, if my pond had a berm I will only get 32" of annual rain and 12"-18" of that will evaporate.

I know very little about the properties of clay but I mostly wanted to know if water moves through it at all. When the ground (clay) is saturated in the spring, water still doesn't move through it? The reason I ask is because I have an old shallow well (not for household use) that's 4' in diameter and about 9 ft. deep, it's lined with rocks and fills up with ground water but I don't know if the water is coming from the top of the well or seeping in from the sides (all rocks are wet with trickling water). I keep the water pumped out of it in the spring and this helps dry my grass up earlier to mow. After a heavy rain I can pump it several days in a row, it continues to fill up. The well is covered with a cement slab about 5' x 5' with an access hole.

Also, in the spring when the ground is saturated, if you dig a hole (say 2' deep) it will fill with water. My pond won't fill up in this manner?

I don't mind the occasional pond overflow so much as my property is wet all over in the spring anyway. I mostly want to stop the inflow in one area so I may just have that part by the woods built up a little so when the woods overflows it will do so on the grass.

Last edited by loretta; 09/10/10 02:01 PM.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]