Kelly,

We have done the same thing with mice in our University Biotech Lab. It isn't a new technique by any means, but that is the first I have heard of it in a population control application. Hadn't heard of that, but I am hoping that it works. It is realistically, in my opinion, the only shot we have.

It can be extremely costly to develop a transgene that is effective and reliable; however, in this instance it would be worth the trouble.

The red tape will present itself in the form of public concern. People are going to have health concerns about the introduction of a foreign transgene into a fishery.

These health concerns usually revolve around allergies or other risks that may develop in response to eating a "never before eaten protein".

Other fish will eat the carp, and it not only needs to be safe for them to eat, but also safe for us to eat both the fish that consumed the carp, and the carp itself.

Until conventional animal agriculture is given the green light to utilize transgenic techniques (Cattle, Swine, etc), there is a very close to ZERO probability that we will use this to control carp populations.

I don't think that is going to even have a chance to happen within this decade given the general population's fear of transgenics (both founded and unfounded).

I hope I am wrong.

Last edited by Gflo; 09/08/10 10:40 PM.

Dr. Flores D.V.M.