SMB REPRODUCTION POND UPDATE

It's been a Spring/Summer full of doubt concerning my SMB reproduction project. This Spring I never noticed any fish on the beds, but many were so deep I would have had to scuba to verify. Another concern: Beds are so deep, could DO levels be too low at that depth to discourage pairing and spawning? In anticipation of this I created a few new beds in late winter in shallower water, stocked FHM and GSH and hoped for the best.

I haven't seen my adult SMB since early June, and Bruce mentioned he saw a dead 14" fish about four weeks ago. I've been throwing pellets a few times weekly and never seen a take - and the FHM and GSH seem extirpated despite multiple supplemental stockings. All signs pointed to me engaging in too complex a project with too little knowledge. My beds were too deep. I didn't stock enough forage. I didn't stock pellet trained adults to help relieve pressure on the forage. I didn't perform a SMB mating dance...all signs pointing to failure. frown

Walking the pond three weeks ago I was seeing some smaller 3-4" fish darting in the shallows upon my approach. I figured they were remnant GSH...tried pellets, not a take. Where are my adult fish? Where are ANY fish? Dejected, I decided to tie on a 1/80 jig and gulp maggot in a futile effort to at least catch one of those GSH.

I cast mid distance across the pond, so my retrieve would tick the edge of a stand of Amercian Pondweed...I figured the GSH would be hanging in the shade and picking off invertabrates there.

I bring the jig close to the edge, then rod tip down and allow a slow flutter into the shadows of the pondweed leaves....BANG - I'm on! Jeezo...this thing's a freak - shallow run right, deep run left, then four attempts to spool me running directly away if he only had the size. Rod tip up, swing the fish up and....

Good Gravy!

Another cast....POW!

Third cast - nailed it! Gosh, these fish have super low WR, but they're here!

Man it's a fun and quick trip from dejection to elation with a twist of swagger...Yep, I am one proud SMB papa! What's more, this is likely the only BOW in Eastern NE with a reproducing population of SMB - too cool. That's a feather in the Pond Boss Forum's hat - nicely done boys - dang we're good! Now that I know what I'm seeing, I try to estimate how many of these "GSH" I see around the pond...wow, there's hundreds!

Okay, now what? I have to get my babies fed and these WRs up! I'm going to be trapping as many FHM possible from my other ponds and transfer over the next few weeks. Each visit I'm trying to introduce AM 400 and 500 in an effort to pellet train. Thus far I've only verified a very few who are interested. Keep trying...keep trying. Any thoughts here?

Congrats all - we pulled off a pretty unique project, totally unknown in these parts. Thanks for the guidance and encouragement.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]