esshup - I omitted the spread info for some of the lilies pictured in the article on purpose so readers would look up the info if they liked that particular variety. Mayla is a great bright, deep pink lily, and developed by K. Strawn in Texas. Just for you: spread for Mayla is 6-8ft, leaf size 8"-10", new leaves deep purple and undersides reddish purple, flower size 5"-6", number of petals 40. I normally have it growing so far up to 5 ft deep.

I pulled two red-pink lilies that day and I'm not sure which one you got. If your blooms are dark red then the red lily you got was called Almost Black, flowers 5"-6" and 38-40 petals, spread 3.5-5 ft, depth growing to about 4 to maybe 5 ft. Or if it is deep pink, it was a Perrys Fire Opal: flowers a deep pink color, leaf spread 4'-5', flowers 6"-7".
Yellow lily was a Yellow Queen with a lighter yellow color and big flowers 7"-10" and mottled leaves up to 12" dia. Leaf spread 4'-5'. Expect it to grow to depths of 5' and maybe 6'.

Readers - send the PBoss editor your comments if you liked the water lily article. pondboss@texoma.net

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/16/10 10:40 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management