Originally Posted By: Bossone
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
And I'm sure none of us need to tell you - KEEP THE TREES AWAY FROM THE POND!!! Would hate to see you back where you just were!

Not to hijack the thread, but how far away should trees be planted from a pond?

Also it very nice looking...Good luck!

Bossone, while I was kind of kidding with lassig who felt the leak he was experiencing may have been caused by the trees (looks like from his last post that this may not have been the case after all), trees right at the edge of a pond can create a couple of potential issues I'm aware of, though they certainly work on pond edges for an awful lot of people. In particular, some species are incredibly thirsty and can be responsible for measurable water loss as they suck it up to meet their needs. Not all of them are this thirsty, though, so it's certainly not a blanket prohibition as to trees as the pond edge. The other issue is just the falling leaves adding organic matter to the pond which can create nutrient issues at some level or another. Like I said, many ponds work just fine totally surrounded by trees, but there are definitely some reasons to at least consider placement when you have that option available as lassig does here.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB