I also have a 12' (Alumaweld) jon boat and I've been thinking about a boat lift also. The boat only has to be a few inches above the water with a slight tilt front to back to allow rainwater to drain with the plug out (or you could build a roof above it wink ).

My jon boat weighs around 100 lbs., has one handle at the front and two handles at the back making the task much easier. I thought about putting in two extra posts next to a my future dock and simply mount a horizontal board connecting each post to a post on the dock. On each horizontal board I was going to mount a crank (like the ones on boat trailers) and hook to the handles. You need a stationary dock close to the water and you will want to make sure you can reach the boat plug from the dock. Your crank mounting board should be high enough to duck under once your in the boat and want to boat out.

This is my most recent idea that hasn't even made it to paper yet so don't laugh. Once I draw it out or think about it longer I may realize problems with the plan. Just dreamin really, I don't even have a dock on my little pond but I do hate storing the boat on shore. My pond is drained and drying out now in preparation for some work, I have more ideas than I have money for laugh.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]