It was a great time guys. Lots of info. Like most LMB lakes the LMB are in the process of trying to overcrowd. The forage base is good/great and the LMB are healthy and in good condition. Bob can explain but I took his comment , in the course of seeing the fishery to mean that the RW are decreasing in a certain size of LMB. Many of the small 12 inch LMB were in very good condition but some of the 16-18 inch fish were a little light for size. We did not encounter many adult TShad. I suspect that the cold winter reduced the number of 6 inch TShad. Those TShad are the optimum size for the 16 inch LMB. Its not that there is not enough food just not as much as usual for all that size LMB. There were lots of young TShad and GShiners and some big shiners and lots of GShad over 6 inches.

One thing I noticed while Bob was there was the small BG (< 4 inches) were pelagic. The great majority of that size BG were tight to/on brush piles way out in the lake near deep water. Not many shallow near shore. The large BG were near shore. That is an event often seen in big waters but not in ponds.

After Bob left I had a little time and noticed something Bob may like to know. While at the dock the feeder went off. I watched. Catfish started eating along with BG. Soon a few GShiners joined in then a couple LMB busted the party. Then the interesting thing occurred. There were still lots of pellets and the yoy GShiners had a few surrounded. But all of the sudden no catfish , LMB or BG but a hoard of GShad swarmed the pellets and ate probably 40% of all the pellets total (95%) of the remaining pellets. I watched very closely to be sure they were GShad and that they were consuming the pellets. Lots of pellets. There is plenty of plankton for the GShad and some are very big ( over 12 inches) and there are some very large LMB that can eat them.

While shocking Tabernacle lake Ray was in the boat back by Bob while the rest of us manned the nets up front. I saw a big flash but not the fish . Ray was in the back telling a story as he watched. Then a loud bang and a yell followed by a lot of heavy flopping. I turned and saw Ray bent over somewhat and blood on the floor. There on the floor was a large ( 30 lbs +) carp flopping like crazy. Ray was lucky he was not injured when that thing hit him. You guys still sure you want grass carp ?

Last edited by ewest; 06/20/10 09:21 PM.