ML, it is fairly simple...tiliapia are exotic species. Many states restrict use of exotics more than others. Florida has so many already in their waters you can stock about anything you want. Alabama is pretty laid back as well. Maine will not even allow bluegill b/c not native to that state. I guess comes from past/current politics. Texas has led the way it seems on many cutting edge ideas.

I have discussed this at lengths with DNR and they said no way no how are they ever going to allow their sotcking in a sportfish pond. Here I have to buy a $236 license to sell grass carp. Bama you can use diploids much cheaper and no extra license. Some others states require even larger paper trail for them with permits required for every stocking.

IN some ways I understand the concern in general over exotic introductions. However when research like you mention is there to support it be a little more open minded about it. GA does have some coastal areas where tiliapia might ovewinter but no way in North GA. I will keep asking/buggin them and maybe on day we too can brag of improved bass growth from tilapia.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com