The time factor here could be the biggest issue. That is the only reason I said a contact like Diquat. Whatever brand. Stuff works fast and provides immediate results. But ewest is dead on about needing systemics, and slow acting to nail future generations. I saw a pond, not managed by me. Cattails, azolla and duckweed. They Rewarded it to death. Guess what is left? 100% coverage of duckweed. All that stuff in the mud hiding just cameback. Overwinters the same way.

I saw that skimmer product but without actually having used it tough to say. Everyone makes great claims. They are selling. Plus I question availability. And that is a large outlay for one pond. Problem here is you need a sure fire solution.

I'd get as much out mechanically as possible. Day laborers, with the right inexpenive tools can remove the bulk of it. Volunteers are better. It's not a dirty job. Just use tools that let it drain and it is not that heavy. Whatever is left, diquat hard and heavy. And don't sit back and think all done. Keep on top of it until the 4TH. It'a amazing how fast that stuff spreads.

They are experimenting in third world countries with tilipia. The results are being published and great success is achieved. So much so they need farmers for duckweed to feed the fish ponds. And stuff is loaded with nutrients. Jam packed. I think Rutgers is experimenting with it as a food source. If I lived in Texas I'd have some tilipia ponds and duckweed ponds.

Still, mechanical, even with hand tools if needed, then diquat. This is a quick fix only like you asked for. Not a long term solution.

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 06/10/10 09:48 AM.