Pond is 1 acre, deepest is 10 feet, 45 years old, neglected til August of 2009. In mid-March I started up too-small an aerator that I began using mid-August to October last year. Began when water temp was 50F with it about 4 weeks ago at 4 hrs per day for 2 weeks then 8 hrs/day. I had about 6 dead fish last Saturday on arrival at my pond. Thought it was the birds. Put in larger compressor and with 2-50square inch diffusers (one at 9.5, other at 7 feet) last Saturday to run at 9 hrs/day. By Monday neighbor reports I had 10 dead. Arrived a week later this past Saturday and had 32 dead fish, mostly BG. Who knows how many dead on the bottom? The compressor is a 1/3 hp Thomas dual rocking piston that does 3.6 to 4.3.scfm free air that I had rebuilt. I am certain I am getting 1 cfm or more to each diffuser, and the pressure at the manifold is 12 psi. I shut it down (unplugged completely) yesterday before leaving and won’t be back til Saturday. Hope to get reports from neighbor during this week. I am worried that I may get more of a kill. How much is possible for further fish kill now that I shut down, and have quit moving bad water to my beloved fish? I am sure this a question that is hard to anser and it depends, but give me the straight skinny, I can take it. I will do a proper startup when the kill stops. I feel like a big dummy.

PondBoss magazine subscriber
Don't text while driving!