Ranger -- a lot of these different gears can work. I am assuming that you want one that will last a while. Also, we probably need to talk about how much work you want to put into it. It's indeed hard work pulling up nets full of bullheads.

I'd be glad to either talk by phone, visit by e-mail, or keep this up on the Forum. :-) My thought is that you can show me the gear, and I can tell you pros and cons. I'm sure that a "catfish trap" would work and would be easier to set and run than a fyke net (that's why I originally suggested a single lead on the net, like their "indiana" net). Even if the traps don't catch as many bullies per lift, if easier to set and use, you can eventually do the same job. However, I'd like to see the size, the construction, the mesh size, and the size of openings. I'm suspicious of $49 gears -- are they built well enough to stand up to rough handling. The $600 price for the fyke net is actually pretty good; we pay that much when we buy a half dozen at a time. However, you may not want to invest that much. I suspect that just a hoop net would be half that price, and easier to set and pull.

I DEFINITELY would not buy a big seine. They are expensive, it's hard to use them in more than 4 or 5 feet of water, and they work best on an even bottom with no obstructions. I'll bet that doesn't describe your pond.

Whatcha think?? At the least, tell me links and pictures of what you are considering so I can get an idea what they are. When or if needed, let's exchange phone numbers.

CECIL or BILL -- if you are monitoring this string, what are you thoughts for a private pondowner using some of these bigger gears?

P.S. Ranger -- go to the following link.
http://wfs.sdstate.edu/wfsdept/courses/WL230/WL230syl04.htm

Click on the blue text link for "Passive Fish Capture Techniques." That has some notes on these gears, and will help you see what I am calling a hoop net vs. a fyke net vs. a modified fyke net.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.