EDIT: LR, I forgot to address the starter kit. If you decide you want one I should be collecting kits some time in mid May.

Hi LR Bob,

It's mostly a temperature thing I think. I wouldn't be surprised to find BSF in your area though; last year someone uploaded photos of BSF larvae from a central Illinois compost pile. If you talk to folks around you that compost or raise worms you can probably find out if BSF are present. You might also find someone willing to share some larvae with you. In that case try to get a bit of the compost also because it will have the attractive scent in it and might also have the tiny newly hatched larvae. Starting a micro population separate from any wild BSF is possible but more difficult.

Quote:
Oh yeah, how did you make the cut for the ventilation?

It involved razors. The bucket I used is made of fairly soft plastic and that might not work on a heavier gauge bucket. I also tried using a circular saw but it was awkward and even more dangerous. I sure hope nobody hurts themselves making this composter. Any suggestions on safer techniques would be great.

Last edited by GW; 04/08/10 03:39 PM. Reason: update