Thanks so much for your kind support and info. We had a compressor pump running 24/7 with a good quality bottom diffuser which was set in about 6-7' of water. The hole in the ice was small because, the pump probably wasn't strong enough to make a bigger one. It was so freakin cold here for days on end.
Today my husband installed the new Weathervane pump. Our son rakes the pond ( edges ) and beyond about x3 a year. No we do not have a lot of muck on the bottom, nor rotting weeds. We have a Amur which does a good job on the weeds. I use Curtine in the summer for the algae. There are frogs, bullfrog tadpoles, turtles, snakes,(northern water snakes ) and dragonfly. The eco system was doing great.
My son found another BG this morning which looked sickly. A small one with redness by its gills. I am not sure it is sickly because it was weak to begin with, and now fell victim to a virus. Or it is sickly because of some sort of pollutant in the creek water. We have a shut off in the creek, so when it storms we can shut it down. We also have a filter box in creek and in the box in the pond.
I would like to get some fathead minnows from Jones Fish Farm, next weekend, but not sure if I should do this just yet.

Our pond is 9yrs old, and the joy of my life. Destresses one just to sit by the water, especially after a long work day - in health care

Pullo, I am sorry to hear of your loss too. Did that happen this spring?

Last edited by Kay; 04/03/10 03:56 PM.

Kay