Originally Posted By: Billfish
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Cisco, it is funny the way alum works; it seems it is either all or nothing. Once you get the right amount, it will clear up in 2-3 days. Not knowing where Cisco is; maybe the hill country? As Rainman suggested, every time you use alum, use 1/2 as much quick lime. You may have a high enough ph not to need to. I bet the 300# will clear it this week. Nice looking pond, ans especially the covered dock.

I cleared my pond yesterday. I have .35 surface acres and calculate that at 2.07 acre feet based on my average depth. I did the jug test and it took about 3 tablespoons of alum to clear the jug in 12 hours. Based on the TAMU table, I used 5ea 50lb sacks ($17/bag at Estes in Houston) of Aluminum Sulfate (250 lbs) mixed in a 55 gallon drum (one at at a time) and sprayed out over the pond using a 2" trash pump with a fire nozzle on the discharge hose. I then followed up with about 120 lbs of hydrated lime. It has cleared somewhat in the first 18 hours. I thought it would be much clearer at this point since I used a little more alum than my calculations called for.

Will it clear more as days go by?

I did catch a bass on my first cast this morning. They obviously can see much better than yesterday...

Sounds like you did things just right. Good job. It probably cleared more than you think. You just about have to measure visibility with a white coffee cup or sechhi disk. A muddy pond with 8" or 18" visibility doesnt look much different. If you caught a bass on artificial, sounds like its working.